Sunday, October 5, 2008

Ante Up...

When Shawn and I started dating, one of his hobbies was to go out playing poker at least twice a week, usually until the wee hours. You can imagine this was not what I saw at the time as one his most redeeming qualities, but I appreciate his dedication, sort of.

Knowing how much fun I had as a little girl playing poker with my grandparents it occurred to me that we should play a family game night while the in-laws are here! So Bud, Connie, Great-Grandma Bess, Uncle Scott, Aunt Nico and the rest of us bellied up to the proverbial bar for a rousing evening of Draw, Screw Your Neighbor, Bertha and other interestingly named "games."

You really start to see new aspects of people when cards are in their hands and the stakes are high. Shifty eyes, sweaty brows, silly poker faces. We had a fantastic evening and not only did we learn a few new games, we grew our foundation and ensured ours is not a house of cards.





2 comments: